After feeling so crummy from a bad cold these past few weeks, I was relieved when I finally started feeling better. I had such big plans for this Christmas season, and sadly, so many of my ideas were put on hold because of my nasty cold. One thing I promised myself though, was that I’d be able to do some holiday baking and make these gluten free peppermint bark scones for Scone of the Month!
Fun fact: Todd and I love peppermint bark. Every Christmas season we’ll either buy some or make it, and it’s delicious to munch on. Because of that, I knew I had to create a peppermint bark scone with my favorite gluten free scone mix.
If this is your first time here, I’ve shared my love for this scone mix before. We love scones so much, that we’ve dedicated a new Scone of the Month flavor each month. This scone mix can’t be beat… it’s that good!
These gluten free peppermint bark scones are everything to love about the holiday season. The scone is tender and full of flavor with the addition of peppermint extract and the chopped up peppermint bark being mixed right in. Then, topped with melted white chocolate chips and even more peppermint bark… I mean, you can’t go wrong with these.
And no judgement here if you choose to use store bought peppermint bark rather than making your own. I did the same thing… and the only peppermint bark I could find was missing the white chocolate layer. No worries here though, the white chocolate chip topping solves all the problems… even if your peppermint bark has the white chocolate layer.
To make them extra fun, I cut the scones into a mini wedge size. They’re cute as can be, but also go a little bit further if you have a larger group to feed, or if you’re serving them with other breakfast or brunch items. Or at a Christmas tea. One of these years I’m going to host a Christmas tea and serve mini scones. The whole idea just sounds like fun. Hot tea and scones… mmmm!
One thing is for sure, if you love peppermint bark, you’ll love these scones! Here’s the recipe!
Gluten Free Peppermint Bark Scones
- 1 Box Namaste Muffin & Scone Mix
- 8 tbsp Cold Butter
- 2 Eggs Lightly Beaten
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1/2 cup Chopped Peppermint Bark
White Chocolate Glaze
- 1 cup White Chocolate Chips
- Finely Chopped Peppermint Bark
For The Scones:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cut cold butter into dry scone mix using a pastry blender or fork. Blend until crumbly.
- Create a well in the center of the dry mixture. Add eggs and milk. Stir until just combined. Add more milk if mixture is dry and crumbly, but only add it in small increments. A little will go a long way.
- Add peppermint extract and chopped peppermint bark. Stir until combined.
- Dump scone mixture onto parchment paper lined sheet pan, and shape into a circle, about 1 inch thick. To make mini scones, divide the dough into two equal circles.
- Use a knife to score the dough into 8 equal pieces, then cut through the mixture and slightly pull each scone wedge out from one another for expansion room when baking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Set aside and cool for 5-10 minutes.
For The Glaze:
- In a small microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate chips and stir to make sure it's smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the white chocolate on top of each scone.
- Before the chocolate cools, sprinkle on additional chopped peppermint bark.