‘Tis the season for all things pumpkin, right? That’s why for this month’s Scone of the Month recipe, we’re going with Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones. They’re delicious, with just the perfect hint of pumpkin and cinnamon mixed in with chocolate chips. Mmm…
Growing up, especially during fall, my mom would make the most delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. They were buttery soft and the perfect combination of pumpkin and chocolate, while still having the cookie base. As I’ve been making a list of all the new scone flavors we want to try, this tasty combination was at the top of my list. I wanted to recreate one of my favorite cookies into a delicious scone!
If this is your first time here, I might as well tell you that scones are one of our very favorite foods… we’re slightly obsessed with them and they’re a weekly staple we love to have ready for breakfast on the weekends, but also throughout the week. Nearly every weekend I whip up a batch and have plenty of fun playing around with new flavor combinations that keep us coming back for more. Just because we’re gluten free, doesn’t mean we can’t still have the tender scones I’ve always loved!
Last month I explained why I love the Namaste Scone Mix. It’s absolutely the best mix or scone base I’ve found, and I’ve tried plenty to know. Until I can come up with something as equally amazing, I’m committed to this mix. It’s that good. And if you’re not gluten free, I’d be hard pressed to say you can taste the difference… my family still can’t believe it!
For this recipe, I wanted a nice mild pumpkin flavor, but if you want it to be stronger, you can certainly cut back on the amount of milk you add, and increase the amount of canned pumpkin. The subtle addition of cinnamon adds another layer of flavor, and the glaze on top has a little thicker consistency than my Apple Pie Scones from last month.
We’ve been loving this flavor, and our guests have too! I hope you enjoy them as well! Yum!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Mixing Bowl
- Pastry Blender
- Measuring Cups
- Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Spoons
- Quart Size Ziploc Bag
- 1 Box Namaste Muffin & Scone Mix
- 1/16 tsp Cinnamon
- 8 tbsp Cold Butter
- 2 Eggs Lightly Beaten
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 6 tbsp Canned Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips Semi-Sweet
- 1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/16 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Canned Pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 tbs Milk
For The Scones:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine scone mix and cinnamon.
- Cut cold butter into dry scone mix using a pastry blender or fork. Blend until crumbly.
- Create a well in the center of the dry mixture. Add eggs and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Add canned pumpkin and mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Drop large spoonfuls of scone mixture onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Set aside and cool for 5-10 minutes.
For The Glaze:
- In a small mixing bowl, add the glaze ingredients and mix well.
- Pour glaze mixture into a ziploc baggie.
- Press glaze into the bottom corner of the bag, and twist the top to create pressure.
- Use scissors to snip the bottom corner and gently squeeze bag to drizzle glaze on top of each scone.
P.S.- Did you hear the news? We’re gearing up for a big pre-sale launch of our best selling How Great Thou Art Pillow on Friday, October 25th! See all the specifics here.