The small town Colorado girl who’s obsessed with home and everything that entails! I’m a creative, a decorator, a day dreamer, a huge fan of scones, and I’m passionate about loving where I live and making a home.
This DIY Spoon & Pallet Hook Rack is the perfect up-cycle project! See how I bent spoons and used a leftover pallet to create this project.
Happy $30 Thursday to ya!
I’m sharing another easy and cheap project- and one that’s brought a ton of charm to our kitchen.
It’s a project that makes me happy!
This was really very easy and provides so. much. character.
I started my spoon hunt weeks ago. I began scouring our local thrift stores for silver plated spoons. I begged. I pleaded. I begged some more. Luckily, they all knew me so it wasn’t too embarrassing… Or was it?
In the end, I was only able to find 1 (one) silver plated spoon. Ummm… pretty sure I would need more than 1 spoon to make a row of hooks. So, I went with my only other option: stainless steel spoons.
I knew stainless spoons would be more difficult to bend, flatten and stamp but it was a risk I was willing to take.
Working with a total “I’ll figure this out as I go” attitude, down to our workshop I went. I started by grabbing my spoons, a clamp and hammer.
Please note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which allows us to make a small commission from your purchase, but your purchase price stays the same. Thank you for helping support our blog! We greatly appreciate it!
First, I clamped the spoon to the workbench.
Then I grabbed my hammer and relieved a little stress.
Ummm… total side note… and completely optional… perhaps think about placing a scrap piece of wood underneath the spoon before hammering. After six spoons, you’ll have a lovely spoon shaped divit. That makes for a happy husband! (I’m dripping with sarcasm here…)
(Complete idiot moment…)
Once one side of the spoon was flattened, I moved the clamp down to the point where I wanted the start of my bend to begin, then I lifted up on the handle of the spoon to give it a slight bend.
Then I searched the garage for a round metal rod. At first I couldn’t find a single thing, but then I saw a lovely tamper sitting in the corner and it was perfect.
I clamped the spoon to the rod and started to bend it around with the hammer.
I kept turning the spoon around the rod…
And kept turning it and hammering…
Once I had the correct bend, I used one spoon as a guide and curved each spoon to match the first one. Every spoon bent differently, even though they were all made of stainless steel.
To make sure the head of the spoon was flat, I placed the spoon on the bench and started pounding the opposite side of the spoon until it was as flat as possible.
With the spoon heads flattened, I marked the middle of the top and bottom of the spoon with a round sharpie dot.
I knew I would need to attach the spoons with small screws, so I grabbed our center punch and hammer and marked the spot with the center punch.
Then I used our drill and started drilling each hole. This took a little time and A LOT of patience. Each stainless spoon was a different thickness, I even had one spoon that wouldn’t drill.
I now owe my husband a set of drill bits, as I broke 3 (three) of them on one spoon…
At the last minute I had to rush down to thrift store and beg for another spoon. She’s back…
Once all the spoons were drilled, I grabbed my hammer and found the nearest pallet. I removed one of the boards and gave it a nice white wash finish with equal parts of white paint and water.
While it was drying, I tried my hand at stamping the spoons. After a few tries, I could see that it wasn’t going to happen. No way. The stainless was way too thick.
Said metal welding hubby said such thing wouldn’t work… I ignored him.
Using my backup plan instead, I wrote each word on the spoons with a fine point sharpie.
I had six spoons, so I picked six herbs: Dill, Thyme, Parsley, Sage, Basil, & Chive.
I grabbed some teeny tiny screws…
Made sure each spoon was evenly spaced on the pallet board, and began screwing them into place.
With all the screws in place, the hook rack was done.
Seriously, this is such a fun addition to our kitchen!
It has a really happy personality…
And I love the addition of the herb words…
You really can’t even tell the words aren’t stamped…
The roughness of the pallet board combined with the sleek and shine of the spoons leaves my heart mushy.
Plus, you can still see the grain of the wood through the white wash finish. That tops it off for me. I mean, you all know we love a little wood grain around here…
I had to bring back my apron and tea towel… they make it feel like mine.
I’ve seen something similar for around $60-$70 dollars…
I spent $1.00 on all the spoons, $1.00 on the screws, the pallet board was free, the tools were free, I had the paint and supplies on hand. This project literally cost me $2.00.
eventual drill bit assortment… Hubby if you’re reading this, I’m on my way to the store right now…) (Wink.)
You’d never know…
LOVE. THIS. PROJECT. Happiness all around!
And now, here are the other two leading ladies: April & Jen.
And here are their FABULOUS projects:
April made this DIY framed fabric wall art:
And Jen made a shelf from a floor joist:
They are soo creative! Be sure to head over and see how they made them!
Here’s to another $30 Thursday… I hope you enjoyed it! Be sure to check out our $30 Thursday pinterest board!
P.S. Just in case you missed the past two months, here are my previous $30 Thursday projects:
DIY Garden Globes:
Join me as I share several easy to implement ideas that will give your home a breath of fresh air and leave you feeling excited about the changes you see by the end of the week!
Find confidence in your decorating decisions when you discover what your unique style is and how you can incorporate it into your home!